We LOVE Christmas and as Little Man is getting older I am pointing him in the direction of WHY we celebrate. Everyday beginning December 1 we read a scripture that tells of the birth of Jesus and how it came to be. As he gets in his teens and we go more in depth, which I cannot wait for!, he will learn the technicalities of the date it is celebrated on but until then this is what we are going to do.
Here is the list of scriptures and here is the scriptures all placed together:
Count down to Christmas Scriptures
1. Isaiah 7:14, Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Emmanuel.
2. Matthew 1:18-24, This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: his mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, and angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Emmanuel (God be with us ) When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.
3. Luke 1:26-27, In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s ( John the Baptist’s mother) pregnancy, god sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town of Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named David, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.
4. Luke 1:28-30, The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God.
5. Luke 1:31-33, You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus, He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end”
6. Isaiah 9:6, For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.
7. Luke 1:34-36, “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” The angel answered “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy on to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month.
8. Luke 1:37, For no word from God will ever fail.
9. Luke 1:38-41, “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her. At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a down in the hill country of Judea, where she entered Zachariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
10. Luke 1:42-45, In a loud voice Elizabeth exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”
11. Luke 1:46-56, And Mary said” My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me-holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, just as he promised our ancestors.” Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about 3 months and then returned home.
12. Luke 2:1-3, In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world, this was the first census that was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria, so everyone went to return to their home town.
13. Luke 2:4-5, so Joseph also went up to the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.
14. Luke 2:6, While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born
15. Luke 2:7 And she gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for the in the Inn.
16. Luke 2:8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.
17. Luke 2:9-11, An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.
18. Luke 2:12, This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
19. Luke 2:13-14, Suddenly a great company of heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying “ Glory to god in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests”
20. Luke 2:15-17, When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the work concerning what had been told them about this child.
21. Luke 2:18-20, And all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen which were just as they had been told.
22. Matthew 2:1-2, After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod; Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
23. Matthew 2:3-7, When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written: “’ But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel’” Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared.
24. Matthew 2:8-10, He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.” After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.
25. Matthew 2:11-12, On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.